Thank you for joining Rio+20: “My Idea of Sustainable Lifestyle”!
On Thursday, June 14, 2012, UNESCO Jakarta in collaboration with DIKTI held an e-learning event titled Rio+20: “My Idea of Sustainable Lifestyle (MISL)” for university students in Indonesia. The aim of this event is to gather ideas from youth about how they want their future to be – in concurrence with sustainable development ideas of Rio+20 Conference.
A month before the event, students are invited to submit their ideas of sustainable lifestyle and the future they want in the form of artworks. Out of all submissions received, there were 5 students selected to present their ideas in the live event.
- Andreas Wirawan and friends from President University, with their ideas of “Trashformation Green Campaign Media” in which they made a scale model of a city using used carton papers, newspaper, and bottles to demonstrate a green lifestyle (reduce, reuse, recycle);
- Dendi Alrashid from Bandung Institute of Technology (ITB), with his idea of “Trashforming: Hippie Chic Accessories” where he recycled plastic packaging materials into accessories such as headband, bracelet, and necklace;
- Doni Marmer from Parahyangan Catholic University, with his painting called “Explosion of Positive Energy” in which he created an oil painting depicting an explosion of energy, which then he later describes as his representation of his hope for the youth to make a positive future.
- Prasetiyo Anam and friends from Brawijaya University, with their ideas of “FoFaFu Trend: Food, Fashion, Fun” in which they create many kinds of crafts and clothing using recyclable materials.
- Syahadah Rizka Anefi from Politeknik Negeri Semarang, with her video titled “Real Act for Sustainable Future” where she introduced simple eco-friendly acts we can do every day but can contribute to a better future in the long run.
In the live event at DIKTI Teleconference Studio, the guest speakers were Mr. Michele Zaccheo, the Director of United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) Jakarta, and Mr. Edwin Leo Mokodompit, Coordinator of UNESCO Youth Desk. The live audience who was present in the studio were students from Atma Jaya University and activists from Greenpreneurs Indonesia.
Mr. Zaccheo first explained what Rio+20 Conference is and how we can join to let our voices be heard. Then, using Polycom video conference device and Skype, each selected presenter shared their ideas of sustainable lifestyle and how they wish their future would look like. Mr. Zaccheo and Mr. Mokodompit gave their comments and shared their insights on the creative ideas of the presenters.
Afterwards, students took “bubble photos” which was initiated by UNIC to get their wish on sustainable lifestyle written on a bubble board. You can see the pictures here! What is your wish?
After the event, the presenters, guest speakers, and audience expressed their appreciation by saying that they learned more about what youth can contribute to build a sustainable future for the next generation. We hope that youth will be more encouraged to take active roles in living a green lifestyle from now on in order to create a better future.
We thank everyone who took part to make this event successful: the idea submitters, the presenters and staffs from each university, DIKTI, UNIC, UNESCO Youth Desk, Atma Jaya University, and Greenpreneurs Indonesia. Thank you and we hope to see you again in the next event!